Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Casa Hogar Douglas Field Day

Today I organized a field day for the kids at Casa Hogar Douglas so that all of their caregivers could go out to a nice lunch and get a few hours off.  We wanted to give the workers some time off and work in some good Play With Purpose activities.  I was up and out of bed at 3:00 this morning preparing materials, and drank some extra/a lot of coffee for a caffeine boost.  Armed with a team of 25 people from Life Point Vineyard, 10 interns, a few staff kids, a few Hope Program teenagers, and some university students from a local church, we headed off to Douglas for the day.  While the preschool kids were in the library with books and games, the bigger kids were split into teams and played soccer, water balloon volleyball, relay races, and amoeba tag.  Anything with water balloons was a huge hit for sure!  One of the goals of the field day was to encourage teamwork.  Any kid who was being a good team player, or kind and encouraging received a purple silly band.  At the end of the day they could redeem each silly band for one thing from the prize box.  It was a super fun day, the kids were playing organized team activities for well over an hour.  I unfortunately don't have any pictures because I was running around like a crazy lady.  I even wore my running shoes knowing that I would need them.  And now, at 8:00pm, I'm headed to bed.  Field day wore me out!  

Stay tuned for tomorrow when we do a "Ninja Training Day" for some elementary school boys at another children's home.  It's a day full of special ninja games to hone their ninja skills, complete with some cool costumes and a Bible lesson on Caleb and Joshua who were like ninjas for the Israelites and whose faith in God saved their people.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mindy,

    I just figured out that there was a way for me to post a comment! We have been following your blog and praying for you regularly. It is so wonderful to hear about the new programs you are working on and to see the way God is working through your creativity and passion for the children! What an amazing blessing! Remember that He is the God who sees...

    ReplyDelete