Thursday, October 7, 2010

Dispensas

I'm on day 3 here in Mexico! I'm unpacked, I got groceries, and I attended my first staff meeting. I surprisingly feel at home already, and like I've been here for a while instead of just 3 days. For the next week or so I'm "settling in", which means I'm just getting used to life in Mexico and I'm not really committed to any projects. I have an amazing staff mentor who's let me be her shadow for the last 2 days while she purchased all of the items for dispensas which will be handed out to 300 families that we serve, plus the food for a major cookout on our campus this weekend. It was quite a sight, it took 2 trips to Sam's Club plus a trip to a butcher shop. In the end we had 300 bags of beans, 150 bags of rice, 300 jugs of oil, 1720 eggs, 30 packages of bacon, and 55 kg (121 lbs) of arrachera. Our arms are SO sore from lugging all of those groceries around, but it was great fun and I'm excited to see the despensas passed out to the families we serve. I'll leave you with a picture of the view from my apartment window. It's been cloudy so it's hard to tell how gorgeous it is, but once the sun comes out I'll take a new one so you can truly enjoy the mountains.

2 comments:

  1. Think of the difference in reading your blog if you had not included the numbers....eggs, bacon, etc. But the fact that you shopped for 1720 eggs! WOW! Keep us posted on how the weekend outing turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see you! Were you with Becca?

    ReplyDelete