Friday, October 22, 2010

Carlos

Yesterday I was at Casa Hogar Del Norte (CHDN) with a women's group from Cincinnati. I promptly found myself a baby to hold and he was quickly asleep, surprise surprise! Upon picking Carlos up, I discovered that he had a good case of diarrhea which was now on his clothes and consequently on my arms. After locating diapers and wipes, I went to find someplace discreet to change him. One of the other little boys followed me and just melted my heart.

From working as a social worker, I've learned that the bond between siblings is often stronger than the bond between kids and parents. And the bond between "siblings" that grow up in the same foster home/children's home is often equally as strong as biological siblings. They look out for each other and protect each other with a fierce determination. This little guy that followed me showed me to his bed and said that I could lay Carlos down there to change him. He then handed me wipes, took the dirty diaper to the trash, and helped me pull off Carlos' dirty pj's without getting the mess on Carlos, myself, or his bed. Throughout the day he would check back in and pat Carlos on the back or give him a hug, then run off to play again. I love these glimpses into the heart of a child!

1 comment:

  1. You know that this kind of post get everyone saying "awhhhh". What a beautiful story of the bond between those orphans. Thanks for giving us a picture of what it's like through your story.

    ReplyDelete