Friday, September 30, 2011

God Says I Am

Today I took a big, huge, giant step.  Or what felt like a huge step to me.  I started a weekly project with the older girls at Del Norte.  All in spanish.  With the help of a great staff friend who doesn't speak any spanish.  Every Friday afternoon for the next 10 weeks we will be talking about who God says we are.  It's a project I've been thinking about for several months, and just this week felt like God gave me some direction and clarity for what to do.  Each week is a different thing that God made us, with a page to decorate or pictures to take, and at the end of the semester each girl will have made their own book all about who God says they are.  Today I took their pictures for their covers and then we did the first page which was titled "I Am Unique".  After talking about the Bible verse (Psalm 139:14) and how God made us unique and wonderful they filled in their full name, birthdate, talked about who was in their family, and answered what was one special thing about them.  Their only instructions were to keep things positive, and other than that I let them write whatever they wanted.  I want this to be about what they think, not what someone told them, so I'm letting them write whatever they think.  Week 1 went great, and the boys were only a little bit upset that they couldn't join us.  They found a mud puddle outside and got over it pretty fast.
 The girls working around the table with the help of Miss Laura
 Maria is unique because she likes to read
 Debanhi is unique because she fights a lot.  Maybe she didn't understand the positive part?
Rosa is unique because she has a lot of friends
 Paola is unique because she is tall and beautiful
 Kassandra is unique because she is very kind.
 Brenda is unique because she has a lot of brothers and sisters and a mom
 Sarahi is unique because...well, she got bored and left before she could tell me.
Nallely is unique because she's learning English

No comments:

Post a Comment