Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tostadas

I needed a break from all of the heavy, emotional blogging. So I thought I'd share my favorite thing to cook living here in Mexico. If I was like my family I would take some professional pictures of my food before I eat it, but I was hungry and alas I forgot. I like this recipe because it's easy to make for one person, really quick, and for an added bonus it's National Nutrition Month in the States and the theme is to eat your colors which this definitely does. You'll get a good dose of protein, fiber, healthy fats, and veggies. It's more tex-mex than mexican, but it's what I like and a little variation on most group's favorite meal...tostadas. I like it with a side of raw jicama, but that's just me!

So here's what you need:
Baked tostada shells (like a taco shell but flat)
Refried beans
Shredded chicken
Cheese
Avocado
Onion
Red, green, and yellow bell peppers
Poblano pepper
A few seasonings (I like red pepper and garlic)

And here's what you do:
Roast or saute the onion and all the peppers with your seasonings
Take a tostada shell and layer on refried beans, chicken, cheese, and avocado
Heat up the tostada shell and then top with the onions and peppers
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you saying there is anything unusual about our family taking photos of our completed recipes? Or dad taking phone-photos of his entrees at restaurants? OK...I'll admit it...it's a rather peculiar family trait! But you have to agree that a photo of your completed tostada WOULD have been compelling and mouth-watering at the top of this blog!!

    ReplyDelete