Thursday, November 11, 2010

Del Norte part 2

I have a confession to make. Ever since I was 16, Del Norte has been my favorite casa hogar that Back2Back works with. Below are some pictures I've taken there over the last 5 years, and eventually I'll scan some pictures from way back when I was 16 and 17. As usual on Thursdays, I headed to Del Norte with a few other staff to help watch the babies for a few hours. For the third week in a row, there was a new baby boy in the playroom. After feeding the babies lunch, we laid them down in their cribs for nap time. This little niƱo wasn't interested in sleeping, and I wasn't interested in listening a baby screaming. I stood by his crib rubbing his back and belly while he calmed down and eventually dozed off. While I was rubbing his back I started praying for him and his mom somewhere who must be missing her baby boy. One of my favorite verses came to mind as I was listening to him cry and almost crying myself. "Lord, you know the hopes of the helpless. Surely you will hear their cries and comfort them. You will bring justice to the orphans and the oppressed, so mere people can no longer terrify them." Psalm 10:17-18. Sometimes being on staff here can be heavy, there are hundreds of broken and hurting children all around us and sometimes it starts to feel like our responsibility to fix them and heal them. Thankfully God promises to do that! He promises to comfort them, to defend them, and seek justice for them in a way that no person on earth ever could. We get to be a part of that plan, but ultimately we want these kids to experience freedom and healing in Jesus name, not our name.

No comments:

Post a Comment